History & Background
Charley Perez began his professional career as an elementary school teacher. While serving in the Peace Corps, Charley taught 1st and 2nd graders and trained other Venezuelan teachers to incorporate a physical education curriculum into their daily teaching schedule. Charley has a Doctorate in Psychology and worked with children and families in many capacities – elementary school counselor, psychotherapist, protective services social worker, mental health clinical supervisor, and State human services administrator.
In addition to his professional career in Human Services, Charley has always found time for athletics, both as a competitor or as a coach. He began racing competitively while in middle school and high school. Charley was a Co-Captain for the Wichita State University Track and Cross-Country teams, where he raced middle-distance events. When returning from the Peace Corps, Wichita State hired Charley as an assistant track and Cross-Country Coach.
Charley has been married to Patty Loyd for over 40 years. They moved to Colorado in 1976 and have lived in Eagle County, Greeley, and the Denver metro area. They both enjoy active lifestyles that includes many sports activities such as cycling, running, and swimming. Travel is big in their lifestyle as they not only travel for pleasure, but also travel to different race venues to follow Charley’s athletes or to participate in their own races, or bike tours.
Charley began coaching triathletes in 2001. He has been a USAT Certified Triathlon Coach since 2004. For 13 years, he was the lead triathlon coach for the Leukemia and Lymphoma’s, Triathlon Teams in Training in Colorado. As the number of Team in Training athletes grew, he founded the Rocky Mountain Triathlon Club in 2003. The club has grown from 25 members in 2003 to well over 400 members currently and Charley continues to lead the coaching activities for the club.
As a triathlon coach, Charley has assisted hundreds of athletes to complete not only their first triathlon, but often times to complete their first Full Ironman distance triathlon. Under Charley’s “coaching eye” many of his athletes have competed at the World Championships in Kona, Hawaii with one winning an age group championship and another finishing 2nd. In 2012, USA Triathlon awarded Charley the Spirit of Multisport award for his ongoing coaching support and work with The Rocky Mountain Triathlon Club.
Results & Accomplishments
While coaching is Charley’s current full-time passion, he also competes very well at local, national and world competitions. A few of his age division athletic accomplishments are highlighted here:
- 1998 – USA National Masters Track and Field Championships – 1st place in the 5000 meter and 1500 meter; 2nd place in the 800 meter
- 2003 – Ironman World Championships – 2nd place
- 2005 – International Triathlon Union World Championships – 5th place
- 2014 – USA Triathlon National Championships – 4th place
- 2015 – International Triathlon Union World Championships – 1st place
- 2016 – USA Triathlon National Championships – 2nd place
- 2017 – International Triathlon Union Aquabike World Championships – 1st place
- 2018 – Colorado State Time Trial Championships – 2nd place
- 2018 – USA Triathlon National Championships – 1st place
- 2019 – Colorado State Time Trial Championships – 1st place
- 2019 – USA Cycling National Time Trial Championships – 5th place
- 2020 – Colorado State Time Trial Championships – 3rd place